Recipe by LynnL
Great fast breakfast. Can make it as Hot or mild that you like. It takes 25min. from start to finish
Top Review by Starrynews
Yum, this is a flavorful and delicious dish! A great way to jazz up breakfast. I had some leftover homemade guacamole that needed using up, so I added a scoop of that instead of the avocado. Thanks for sharing! PAC Fall '12
- 29.58 ml sliced almonds
- 1 yellow sweet pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil or 14.79 ml cooking oil
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4.92-7.39 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 1.23 ml salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium ripe avocado, seeded, peeled, and sliced (optional)
- fresh chili pepper (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread almonds in a large skillet. Cook over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove almonds from skillet; set aside.
- Cook sweet pepper and jalapeno pepper in hot oil in same skillet about 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and salt; bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Break one of the eggs into a measuring cup. Carefully slide the egg into simmering tomato mixture. Repeat with remaining eggs. Sprinkle eggs lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer eggs over medium-low heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not firm.
- To serve, transfer eggs to serving plates with a slotted spoon. Stir mixture in skillet; spoon around eggs on plates. Sprinkle with toasted almonds. If desired, serve with avocado slices and garnish with fresh chili peppers.