Recipe by Manami
East meets Southwest in this funky Tex-Mex version of an egg roll. It's simple, fun and a great way to use up turkey leftovers. CuisineAtHome 11/27/08 newsletter - eRecipes. You can play around with other flavors, as well.
Top Review by TherapistCook
I used this recipe in a work cooking competition for appetizers. Having not tried it before I made it, or even tasting it before entering, I was surprised and excited that I won. So, this is an award winning recipe! Tastes great.
Less chili powder (its overwhelming). More spice all around. I doubled the adobo in the sauce, also adding cayenne and some cajun spice to texture and color. I'm still not pleased with the sauce's sour cream base. Find another sauce for it. Other than that, add a few more beans and corn, and switch to steak, and your golden!
- 1 1⁄2 cups julienned cooked turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups fresh spinach (3 oz.)
- 1⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced roasted sweet red pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons seeded minced jalapeno peppers (more to kick it up a notch)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, spicy
- 8 egg roll wraps
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
1/2 CUP CHIPOTLE CREAM DIP
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (not the bottled kind)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon adobo sauce, from chipotle chili peppers
- sour cream, for serving
- avocado, slices for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- COOK & ASSEMBLE EGG ROLLS:.
- Sauté turkey, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder in oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in spinach, corn, beans, sweet pepper, scallions, and jalapeno.
- Cook until spinach wilts, about 1 minute.
- Off heat, add cheese(so that it doesn't melt completely) and salt.
- Allow filling to cool slightly.
- To assemble, lay an egg roll wrapper on a work surface with a corner toward you; brush edges with egg wash.
- Place 1/4 cup filling on wrapper and fold bottom corner over filling, tucking tightly; fold in sides and roll to the end.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- MAKE DIP:.
- Stir together sour cream, lime juice, honey,& adobo sauce for dip; put aside & allow to marry.
- FRY EGG ROLLS:.
- Heat 2 cups vegetable oil to 350ºF–360°F in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Fry egg rolls until crisp, about 5 minutes; drain them on paper towels.
- Serve egg rolls with dip.