Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
East meets Southwest in this funky Tex-Mex version of an egg roll. It's simple, fun and a great way to use up turkey leftovers. CuisineAtHome 11/27/08 newsletter - eRecipes. You can play around with other flavors, as well.
- 1 1⁄2 cups julienned cooked turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups fresh spinach (3 oz.)
- 1⁄4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1⁄4 cup sliced roasted sweet red pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons seeded minced jalapeno peppers (more to kick it up a notch)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, spicy
- 8 egg roll wraps
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 tablespoon water
1/2 CUP CHIPOTLE CREAM DIP
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (not the bottled kind)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon adobo sauce, from chipotle chili peppers
- sour cream, for serving
- avocado, slices for garnish
- COOK & ASSEMBLE EGG ROLLS:.
- Sauté turkey, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder in oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in spinach, corn, beans, sweet pepper, scallions, and jalapeno.
- Cook until spinach wilts, about 1 minute.
- Off heat, add cheese(so that it doesn't melt completely) and salt.
- Allow filling to cool slightly.
- To assemble, lay an egg roll wrapper on a work surface with a corner toward you; brush edges with egg wash.
- Place 1/4 cup filling on wrapper and fold bottom corner over filling, tucking tightly; fold in sides and roll to the end.
- Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- MAKE DIP:.
- Stir together sour cream, lime juice, honey,& adobo sauce for dip; put aside & allow to marry.
- FRY EGG ROLLS:.
- Heat 2 cups vegetable oil to 350ºF–360°F in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Fry egg rolls until crisp, about 5 minutes; drain them on paper towels.
- Serve egg rolls with dip.