Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adopted! For authenticity, leave out the spinach and substitute roasted corn. Replace jack and cheddar with queso blanco. A good addition would be grilled corn kernels. Yum! Prep time does not include the heating time for the oil. I have reworked the recipe so that it actually makes sense. I think?
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (18 ounce) can black beans, drained, reserving 1/3 C liquid
- 8 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted squeezed dry and chopped
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, small dice
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 25 egg roll wraps
- oil (for frying)
- Combine beans with reserved juice, spinach, tomatoes, cilantro, onions, cumin, salt and pepper to taste in a large stainless or glass bowl. Refrigerate while the chicken is cooking.
- Either bake, broil or grill the chicken until almost done, still pink in the middle.
- Remove chicken from oven or grill, let cool slightly, shred with a sharp knife or by hand.
- Remove vegetable mixture from refrigerator, strain out any liquid, stir in the cheeses and shredded chicken.
- Following the directions included in the eggroll wrapper package, make individual rolls with the vegetable, cheese and chicken mixture.
- Place on baking sheet and put in freezer while oil to fry is heating.
- When oil has reached 375F, bring the eggrolls out and fry them 3 to 4 at a time, until crispy and golden brown. This will take about 5 minutes. When the rolls are done, they will float and there should be very little bubbling of the fat around them. They shouldn't spatter much, but be careful.
- Remove each batch of rolls to a cooling rack and place in a slow oven (275F) while cooking the remaining rolls.
- When all rolls are cooked, cut them in half, diagonally. Serve with whatever type of dipping sauce you prefer.
this sounds amazing! im going to try it this week! directions are written clear too which helps!
I had to figure it out myself but for the most part, the final product was fantastic!!! The Ingredients and the recipe didn't exactly go together though.
Kind of repetitive and the ingredients dont match the recipe.