Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This can be assembled the night before and baked in the morning. Great for when you have overnight guests. Time does not include 8 hours chill time.
- 12 (5 inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips and divided
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 (12 ounce) container low fat cottage cheese
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa
- Place tortilla strips on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes or until crisp; cool.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl; stir in half and half, cottage cheese, salt and pepper.
- Stir in three-fourths of the tortilla strips, 1 cup cheese, and green onions. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Cover with foil, and chill 8 hours.
- Bake casserole, covered, at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or just until set. Remove casserole from oven, and let stand 5 minutes. (casserole will continue to get firms it cools).
- Cut casserole into 12 squares. Spoon 2 tablespoons salsa over each serving, sprinkle with remaining tortilla strips.
I added 2 tablespoons chili powder, 1 of cumin, and 1.5 cups black beans. It was a big hit at my potluck!
Very yummy! Thanks so much for the recipe!