Any large skillet will do, but I love the presentation of black cast iron.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/3 chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup frozen corn
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies
- kosher salt & pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch coriander
- 4 large eggs
- butter, for pan
- shredded monterey jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- 1In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers and saute for 5-7 minutes, until tender.
- 2Add garlic, beans, and corn. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add in cumin, chili powder and coriander; stir well.
- 3Add tomatoes and turn heat up to medium high. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- 4Remove cover and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes, until liquid has almost fully evaporated. Cover top of mixture with Monterrey Jack cheese and allow to melt.
- 5Meanwhile, heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat and add butter to coat. Cooks egg over easy or over medium, to preference. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Spoon bean mixture onto plates, top with 2 eggs, and desired toppings. Great with warm, crusty bread.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Egg & Black Bean Skillet
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.4
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 364.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 15.3 g