Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Any large skillet will do, but I love the presentation of black cast iron.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄3 chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup frozen corn
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chilies
- kosher salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch coriander
- 4 large eggs
- butter, for pan
- shredded monterey jack cheese or cheddar cheese
- sliced jalapeno pepper
- red onion, minced
- sour cream
- parsley or fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers and saute for 5-7 minutes, until tender.
- Add garlic, beans, and corn. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add in cumin, chili powder and coriander; stir well.
- Add tomatoes and turn heat up to medium high. Bring to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes, until liquid has almost fully evaporated. Cover top of mixture with Monterrey Jack cheese and allow to melt.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat and add butter to coat. Cooks egg over easy or over medium, to preference. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon bean mixture onto plates, top with 2 eggs, and desired toppings. Great with warm, crusty bread.