Prep 8 mins
Cook 28 mins
This sounds interesting. Recipe comes from "Easy Meatless Dishes", by Betty Crocker. I haven't made it yet, but putting it here to save.
- 2 cups cornbread stuffing mix
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped and drained
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- salsa, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400*. Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mix stuffing, corn, chilies, sour cream and 1 egg in a large bowl. Spread evenly in baking dish. (can be made ahead & refrigerated up to 1 day at this point).
- Make 6 indentations in stuffing mixture with the back of a spoon.
- Break 1 egg into each indentation. Make sure you pierce the egg yolks with a toothpick (or you will have a mess!).
- Bake, uncovered for 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are firm,not runny. Sprinkle with cheese over the stuffing mixture.Bake 2-3 minutes more, until cheese melts. Serve with salsa, if desired.
Got this from the same book! Turned out VERY well. I really enjoyed having something slightly different and "southwestern" for breakfast without any spiciness or tomatoes. BF went back for seconds and claimed the leftovers for tomorrow. I accidentally grabbed creamed corn at the store but went ahead with it (I just added another 1/2 cup crumbs to compensate for the extra moisture. But I would have liked the whole corn better for sure!) There's just one thing that I didn't like. The stuffing mix crumbs I used were SUPER salty, and I love salt, I salt the heck out of everything but this was borderline to much for me. I would suggest trying to find a low sodium mix or one that you know really well (instead of grabbing store brand like me).
I scaled this down for one person in a small casserole dish and enjoyed it for breakfast. I used frozen corn and a mix of Monterey Jack cheese and cheddar. Thanks for posting this nice breakfast! Made for Everyday is a Holiday.