Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Nothing beats chicken soup, whenever! Few foods are easier to make, more impressive to serve, or comforting to eat than soup. Especially the thick, creamy kind. Falling into three catehories -- cream soups, pureed soups, and bisques or chowders -- with this recipe, you'll be well on your way to decadent dinners in a bowl. This Southwestern Cream of Chicken Soup is thickened with a roux before adding cheese for texture and flavor. When adding cheese, even a great meltting one like pepper Jack, separatng is possible -- so here's is how to avoid it: (1) Don't let soup boil the cheese will break up & curdle.. (2) Use an acid like wine or beer to help prevent curdling. (3) Be sure to use whole milk. Its high milk fat content means it's less likely to curdle.:) Try this spiced-up version with tortilla or pita chips for dipping. CuisineAtHome - Issue 83 - October, 2010.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup beer (such as Corona)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry converted white rice
- 3 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 sprigs cilantro, as garnish (optional)
- lime slice (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional) or seasoned pita chips (optional)
- Melt butter in a large pot. Stir in bell pepper, poblano, onion, garlic, chilli powder, cumin aand coiander. Sweat mixture until peppers begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in 3 T flour to coat vegetables; cook 2 minutes.(Make sue all vegetables are copated because if not it will taste like flour!) Whisk in milk, beer, and broth until smooth.
- Bring mixture to a simmer. Stir in rice; simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Combine cheese with remaining 3 T flour in a resealable plastic bag; toss to coat. Add cheese to soup a handful at a time, stirring to melt completely before adding the next handful.
- Add chicken and cilantro to heat, 3-5 minutes.
- Garnish each serving of soup with lime slices and tortilla or pita chips.