Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this one on the label of a chicken broth can - very tasty indeed.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion, , divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (10 ounce) package couscous
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook 1/3 cup of the green onions in butter until they are tender.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder.
- Heat to a boil, and then remove from heat.
- Stir in couscous and beans; then cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous mixture with a fork.
- Top each serving with cheese and remaining green onions.
Fabulous! Left the beans out but served them beside the couscous so the adults could "mix and mingle" them together on their plates. Even my picky 4 and 7 year old sons loved this dish. Will definitely make again. Thanks for posting!
This is not my favorite way to eat couscous. Although I love all of the ingredients, the combination lacked something for me. It wasn't bad, it's just not something I'd likely make again.
I loved this recipe. I just tweaked it a bit with adding some garlic, yellow onions, kosher salt & pepper. Also, in the picture I'm gonna try to upload, I hadn't put any cheese on it yet.