Recipe by Sharon123
Adapted from a recipe in Southern Living, this is a pretty salad that is sure to please! If you can't find Mexican cornbread mix, add in 1 4 0z. can green chili peppers and 1 15 oz. can creamed corn to the regular cornbread recipe, or make one of the fabulous recipes for it here on Zaar!
Top Review by ChipotleChick
I liked this salad. It looked absolutely stunning in the bowl with all the pretty layers! I did feel that it was lacking a lot in the flavor department though...which was surprising. I think when I make it next time, I will add cilantro and maybe some chopped jalapeno to the mix. I made my own cornbread with green chiles, roasted red peppers and creamed corn. This is definitely a good recipe...it's probably just my southwestern taste buds expecting more punch. Thank you for the recipe!
- 1 (16 ounce) package Mexican cornbread mix or 1 (16 ounce) packageregular cornbread mix
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope buttermilk ranch salad dressing mix
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (may sub kidney or pinto beans)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (or 1 15-oz. can corn)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped (may use orange or purple peppers)
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded Mexican blend cheese
- 5 tablespoons artificial bacon bits
- 5 green onions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the cornbread according to directions on package; cool and crumble.
- Set aside.
- Mix Ranch salad dressing mix with the buttermilk and mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Layer a large bowl with half each of cornbread, lettuce, tomatoes, beans, corn, bell peppers, cheese, bacon bits and green onions; spoon half of dressing evenly over the top. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients and dressing.
- Cover and chill at least 2 hours. Enjoy!