Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 3 ears fresh corn
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small green sweet pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro or 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups dry whole wheat bread or 8 cups white bread, cubed
- 1 -2 fresh or canned jalapeno pepper
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- Remove the husk from corn; scrub with a stiff brush to remove silks.
- Use a sharp knife to cut off just the kernel tips from the ears of corn, then scrape the cobs with the dull edge of the knife.
- Cook corn, covered, in a small amount of boiling unsalted water for 2 minutes; drain well.
- Set aside.
- In a large skillet cook celery, green and red sweet pepper, and onion in margarine or butter until tender.
- Stir in cilantro or parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine cooked corn, bread cubes, and jalapeno pepper.
- Add celery mixture.
- Drizzle with enough broth to moisten, tossing lightly.
- Transfer stuffing to a 2-quart casserole.
- Bake, covered, in a 375º oven for 30-35 minutes or until heated through.