Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Have not tried this but it looks good. Found the Recipe on www.Foodnetwork.com Show: $40 a Day Episode: Park City, UT
- 2 lbs frozen corn kernels, thawed, and drizzled with olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 10 roma tomatoes, rubbed with
- olive oil
- 1 medium red pepper, rubbed with
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn tortilla chips, chopped
- chili powder
- 1 medium avocado, small diced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Put the oiled corn on a baking sheet and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Put the oiled tomatoes on another baking sheet and roast them both for 10 to 12 minutes until the tomato skin blisters and the corn is lightly browned. In a medium skillet, grill the red pepper over medium-high heat until it is black on each side. Put the tomatoes and the pepper in the refrigerator, and peel them when they have cooled.
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat and add the onion and garlic and saute. Add the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock, roasted corn, peeled tomatoes, half-and-half, and 1 1/4 cups of the tortilla chip pieces and mix well. Pour this mixture in a food processor or blender* and puree until smooth. Strain the chowder, and then season it with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper, to taste. Peel and dice the roasted red pepper. Serve the soup topped with diced avocado, red pepper, and the remaining tortilla chip pieces. Serve immediately.
- *When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.