Recipe by COOKGIRl
From a local publication via The Kansas City Star and slightly rearranged by me. For convenience, use a package of shredded coleslaw mix but be sure it's fresh and good quality. To make this a main dish, add cubed and grilled chicken or turkey, hard boiled egg, tempeh, etc.
Top Review by NorthwestGal
This was delicious, Cookgirl. I served it with Recipe #48454, and it was a great side dish. I loved the refreshing touch that the lime juice, cilantro and tomatoes gave to this great dish. I didn't make any alterations (except my local market didn't have red cabbage so I had to use all green cabbage), but next time I would be inclined to double the dressing because it really is what gives this coleslaw a Southwestern flair...so why not more, I say. I'm so happy I made this recipe for the ongoing Spain & Portugal tag game.
- 1 head white cabbage, cored and shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- 1 cup cooked black beans (if using canned beans rinse well and drain)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (*fresh* only!)
- 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, diced small
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (for less heat use a milder variety of chili or green bell pepper)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar (I used brown rice vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin (I used 1/2 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds, lightly crushed)
- 1 small pinch dried chipotle powder (optional and my addition)
- 1 avocado (pitted, peeled and sliced or diced)
- 3 tablespoons pepitas, toasted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine white and red cabbage and the carrots (or coleslaw mix), black beans, cilantro, tomato, red onion and jalapeño in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients in small non-reactive bowl. Pour over coleslaw and toss gently.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for a few hours until chilled.
- When ready to serve, slice up the avocados, drizzle with some lime juice to stop the avocado from browning and arrange on top of the coleslaw.
- Optional: If desired, scatter pepitas on top [just] before serving.
- Yield 8 (1 cup) servings.