Recipe by Culinary Inspiration
This delicious dairy free clam chowder is easy to make and has a great southwest twist to it, substitute the flour with 1 teaspoon Guar Gum to make gluten free. Can also be made vegetarian by omitting the bacon. If you prefer spicy you can also add a chopped jalapeno pepper in with the potatoes and onion mixture.
- 2 large anaheim chilies (or substitute green peppers)
- 3 slices thick cut bacon (chopped)
- 26 ounces chopped canned clams
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (peeled & chopped)
- 2 tablespoons flour (or 1 teaspoon Guar Gum)
- 8 ounces clam juice
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white wine (Sauvignon Blanc)
- 3⁄4 cup oat milk (or substitute half and half)
- 3 green onions (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast Anaheim peppers over open gas cook top or under broiler until blackened. Place into plastic bag for 5 minutes and rub to remove blackened skin, remove from bag, rinse, pat dry and chop.
- Drain clams reserving liquid.
- Place chopped bacon into large pot and cook over medium-high until browned, if not using bacon substitute 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add chopped onion and potatoes and cook 10 minutes until onions are soft.
- Sprinkle flour (or guar gum) into pot and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add clam juice, reserved clam liquid, corn, bay leaf, and wine. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until potato is tender.
- Add chopped clams, roasted peppers, oat milk, green onions cook 5 minutes and add salt and pepper to taste.