Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 41 mins
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 1 1/3 c. Per serving: 410 calories, 15.2 g fat, 20.6 g protien, 45 g carb, 12.3 g fiber, 43 mg cholesterol.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb chili-style ground sirloin
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 lb cajun smoked sausage, chopped (Conecuh)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (Mexican beer is prefered)
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (7 ounce) can salsa verde (Herdez)
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- Heat a large soup pot over med-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add in salt and beef; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring gently; remove from pan.
- Add onion, green onions, bell pepper, and sausage to the pan; stir/saute 5 minutes or until sausage is lightly browned.
- Add in garlic; stir/saute 1 minute.
- Add in beer, scraping the pan to loosen browned bits.
- Return beef to pan; stir in chili powder and the next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in masa harina; cook 30 minutes.