Recipe by FLUFFSTER
This is a delicious new take on an old favorite. Appropriate for an appetizer, super for supper, and pleasurable for parties. This came from the editors of favorite name brand recipes. You are bound to love it.
- 2 (4 ounce) cans whole green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) package egg roll wraps
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon water
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- To seed chiles, cut each chile in half lengthwise using scissors or knife. Carefully scrape out and discard seeds. Rinse chiles well; drain. Pat dry with paper towels. (wear gloves when handling chiles to prevent irritation to hands and eyes).
- Combine olive oil, salt, white pepper, and cloves in a small bowl. Add chiles; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour. Combine both cheeses in another small bowl.
- For each chile rellano, place 1 chile half in center of 1 egg roll wrapper; top with 1/4 cup cheese mixture. Beat egg yolk and water in small cup; brush edges of egg roll wrapper with mixture.
- Fold two opposite edges over filling, overlapping edges; press together, working out any air bubbles. Press ends together. Fold ends under and pinch to seal. Repeat with remaining chiles, egg roll wrappers and cheese mixture.
- Heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil in large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until oil reaches 375 degrees; adjust heat to maintain temperature. Fry chiles rellanos, a few at a time, in hot oil 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown, turning once. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Note: cooking time doesn't include the 1 hour standing time.