1/1 Photo of Southwestern Chile Lasagna
4 hrs 30 mins
I wanted a Mexican lasagna for dinner one night so I decided to make up my own version, playing off of other recipes I've seen. The chili and the rice each taste great on their own as well as working really well together. I'm leaving out amounts for the tortillas, cheese, and cilantro. This recipe makes a lot of chili and rice. I love the leftovers for lunches, but if you want a larger lasagna, there is plenty of rice and chili for that with this recipe. The peppers are flexible as everyone has a different sense of the right amount of heat! Most of the cooking time is inactive.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Chili
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
For the Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 (10 ounce) can rotel
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
- 1For the chili:.
- 2Dice the medium onion.
- 3Cook in a 8qt. pot over medium heat.
- 4Dice 2 cloves garlic and add to onions.
- 5Add ground beef and cook until browned.
- 6Drain out most of the fat.
- 7Add the remaining ingredients for the chili. Simmer on stove for several hours or until all the flavors have come together.
- 8For the rice:.
- 9Rinse rice to remove excess starch. Add to pot with the chicken stock.
- 10Bring to boil, cover, and reduce to simmer until all the stock has been absorbed.
- 11Remove from heat.
- 12Meanwhile, in a skillet, melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat.
- 13Add 1 cup diced onion, Rotel, and 1 clove minced garlic. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir together.
- 14Cook until onion and garlic are tender.
- 15Add to tomato mixture to the rice by fluffing with a fork until it is evenly incorporated.
- 16For the lasagna (I made an 8x4" lasagna):.
- 17Ladle a thin layer of the chili on the bottom of your pan.
- 18Trim the rounded edges off the tortillas and cut into strips. Create a layer of tortilla strips in the pan.
- 19Scoop about 1-2 cups rice and spread in even layer over tortillas.
- 20Spread about 2 cups chili over rice.
- 21Sprinkle to cover with cheese.
- 22Repeat until you are within 1/2" of the top of your pan. Leave the cheese as the last later.
- 23Sprinkle with cilantro.
- 24Spray aluminum foil with non-stick spray and bake in a 350°F oven for about 1/2 hour. Remove foil and cook until cheese is melted, browned, and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Southwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Chile Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (654 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 618.5
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 106.8 mg
- Sodium 1403.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 39.5 g