Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Another Nice soup/stew with lots of vegetables...
Make and share this Southwestern Chicken Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) package kielbasa, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained (no salt added)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste (no salt added)
- 16 white pearl onions (in the freezer section)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 cups Red Bliss potatoes, in 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups carrots, in 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups zucchini, in 1-inch chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) can kernel corn, drained
- In a ziploc bag, place ¼c. flour and a few of the chicken at a time and shake to coat.
- Brown the chicken in a dutch oven in the oil; then remove the chicken and set aside.
- Drain all but 1 tsp of the fat; saute 1 tbsp flour and the garlic in the reserved fat for 30 seconds.
- Add broth, tomatoes (including the liquid), tomato paste, onion, salt, cumin, oregano, thyme, bay leaf and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minute.
- Add chicken and kielbasa; cover and simmer 20 minute.
- Skim the fat off the surface; Add the potato, carrot, zucchini and corn.
- Cover and simmer, covered, for 30 min; then serve.