Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This top-rated Southwestern Chicken Soup is a great way to use up leftover chicken. The creamy chunks of avocado add a richness that's unusual to find in most chicken soups. GOOD TO KNOW: Make this healthy soup a little healthier with whole grain rice. Beans and rice are a complete source of protein.
- cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped chopped skinless boneless rotisserie chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup diced peeled avocado (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 6 lime wedges
- Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic, and saute 3 minutes.
- Add broth, rice, cumin, and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, cilantro, pepper, and salt; simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly heated.
- Remove from heat, and stir in tomato, avocado, and juice. Serve with lime wedges.