Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
One from my recipe box - something I clipped from a newspaper.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup wisconsin monterey jack cheese or 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions or 2 tablespoons cilantro
- Sprinkle chili powder, cumin and salt over chicken.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken and garlic; cook 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken over.
- Combine salsa and mustard; spoon over and around chicken.
- Continue cooking, turning chicken and stirring sauce, 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle cheese and onion (or cilantro) over chicken.
- Continue cooking 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
10 STARS! I threw together a homemade salsa and used about 1 cup, keeping everything else the same. The Dijon adds a fantastic layer of flavor mingling with the lime of the salsa. For the chili powder, I used dried Chipotle and to make was quicker than quick. I've got an idea! Let's get together and eat until we fall over. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday.
Very easy and quick to assemble, which is always a plus when you've had a busy day. :)
I reduced the chili to a pinch and added a teaspoon of paprika to the remaining ingredients. I thinly sliced each chicken breast in 3 (to make a snitzel thickness). I let mine sit the the mix overnight. I made this for 10 people and everyone loved it. For my kids I omitted the salsa and just added cheese on top. Thanks for posting!