Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe by WW quick, Light snd Healthy Cookbook made even lower fat. Substitute cooked brown rice for the white to make it have even more fiber. I like it with or without the lime juice.
- 48 ounces fat free chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup whole kernel corn, frozen
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, chopped, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, fresh
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in rice, and cumin.
- Return to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes until rice is tender.
- Skip these steps if you are using cooked brown rice.
- Stir chicken, and next 3 ingreds. into rice mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove mixture from heat.
- Stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt.
This is to die for! I made a couple of substitutions to accomodate what I had in the kitchen. Instead of whole chopped tomato, I used a can of rotel tomatoes with chilies. I omitted the can of chilies, as it was already in the tomatoes. I also used a package of taco mix, as I did not have cumin. For those watching their calorie consumption, the serving size on this recipe is huge! I bet you could call easily get 8 servings and cut the serving size by half ( 121). MMMMMMM good!
I personally didn't not try this soup, but it was 5 stars from the critics. I did substitute brown rice for the white rice. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
I followed this recipe exactly except for using vegetarian chicken strips and vegetable buillion. It was delicious and exactly what I was hoping for. The lime juice added greatly to the final taste, so do not omit. Very easy to make.