Recipe by Ravenseyes
This is one of those dinners you just love to make when there's no time and just a whole bunch of people that are hungry - most of this can be made ahead of time except for the crust!
Top Review by Nasseh
I made this using leftover fried chicken cut into pieces. I left out the corn & used Rotel tomatoes with chilies. I added some cheese & sour cream to the filling. I left out the chilies in the crust since they were inside the pie. Made for Photo Tag
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal (white or yellow)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- nonfat sour cream
- salsa, and
- shredded lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F degrees and lightly coat a shallow 3-quart baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the cooked chicken, black beans, corn, chili and garlic powders, diced tomatoes, and cayenne pepper in a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir gently to blend. Pour the mixture into the center of your prepared baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the corn meal, flour,baking powder, and salt. Add the egg substitute, milk, and oil, stirring to blend. Stir in the green chilies and cheese.
- Drop the batter by the tablespoonful around the outside of the baking dish.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the cornmeal batter is golden brown.
- Serve warm, topped with sour cream, lettuce, and salsa, if desired.