Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
I am a big tomato sauce and pasta lover. This is a recipe courtesy of All-You magazine. I like this recipe because it is different then traditonal Italian pasta.
- 3 teaspoons salt (divided )
- 12 ounces linguine
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 0.5 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 2 cups four-cheese mexican cheese
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit; mist a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente about 10 minute or as package directs. Drain.
- 2. Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bell pepper,onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder and 2 tsp., salt; saute until onion is tender, 6- to 8 minute Add tomato paste and cook stirring constantly, 2 minute longer.
- 3. Whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute Gradually whisk in milk. Cook, whisking until thickened about 5min. Add diced tomatoes and 1 cup cheese. Cook, whisking for 1 minute or until cheese melts.
- 4. Remove from heat. Stir in chiken and paste.Scrape into baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until bubbly; 20-25 minute (preheat broiler to high and broil casserole for a minute to brown, if desired )Let stand for 10-15min. Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired, serve.