Recipe by JeriBinNC
The cilantro pesto really makes this sandwich different. This is from Cuisine at Home magazine, and it was a huge hit at our house. Luckily, this made enough of the pesto to make the sandwiches twice!
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, leaves and stems, packed
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotle chile puree (*)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- butter, softened
- 4 slices bread, 1/2 inch thick
- 2 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces rotisserie cooked chicken, torn into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- * Puree a can of chipotles in adobo and keep in a jar in the refrigerator.
- Process cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice and salt in food processor till minced. Slowly drizzle in oil while machine is running, forming a paste.
- Mix mayonnaise, chipotle puree, and sugar in a small bowl.
- Spread each slice of bread with butter on one side. Spread cilantro pesto on the other side of two slices and top with cheese and chicken. Spread the other two slices with the mayo mixture and place on top of the chicken, butter side up. Toast in Foreman grill or in a skillet with a weight on top. (Cook over medium heat. When first side is browned, flip over and cook the other side, weighting again.).