Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe years ago (and cannot remember where). It's so different from any other chicken and pasta recipe and it's just such a treat. If you like southwestern cooking, you'll love this one!
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut lengthwise into strips
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped. (never dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large red bell peppers, thiny sliced
- 1 large poblano chiles or 1 large pasilla chile, thinly sliced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chile, chopped (canned chipotle or adobe chilies)
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Toss chicken, 1 Tbs fresh cilantro and 1 tbs oil in a medium sized bowl. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, toss once more. Cover and refrigerate one hour.
- Heat 3 Tbls oil in large skillet. Over medium heat, add garlic, onion, pepper and poblano chili. Saute until just tender, (about 10 minutes).
- Transfer vegetables into a large bowl. Add chicken to same skillet and saute over medium-high heat until cooked through (about 4 minutes). Transfer chicken to vegetable bowl.
- Add cream and chipotle chilies (a bit of adobe sauce optional - HOT)to skillet. Bring to a boil and reduce until you can coat your spin thickly, about 4 minutes.
- Cook pasta until just tender, but firm to bite. Drain and return to pot. Add sauce, chicken and vegetables to pasta and toss over medium-high heat until sauce coats pasta (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in 1 cup shredded jack cheese and toss again to blend. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Serve immediately.