- 1⁄4 lb bacon or 1⁄4 lb turkey bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- 2 chicken breasts (with or without bone)
- 16 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1 bell pepper, coarsely chopped (green, red, yellow or orange)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 16 ounces whole kernel corn
- 4 -6 ounces carrots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons butter substitute, softened
- 1 cup half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pressure cooker, saute bacon until crisp.
- Add oil, onion, garlic and chicken. Saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, salsa, peppers, carrots, chicken broth, salt, red pepper flakes and hot pepper sauce.
- Close pressure cooker and heat on high to develop maximum pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook 6 minutes, then release pressure. Remove the chicken and cut it into bite-size pieces.
- Add chicken, corn, cilantro and sherry to the soup. Bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Combine flour and butter into a paste, then add it one tablespoon at a time, mixing until the soup is creamy. Cook 1 more minute. Add half-and-half and mix thoroughly.
- If not using a pressure cooker, you will need to cook for a longer time, though I have not tested the recipe this way.