1/1 Photo of Southwestern Chicken Corn Chowder
Chef #1050930's Note:
A wonderful soup recipe from "The Pressure Cooker Cookbook" by Toula Patsalis. Can be made without a pressure cooker but cooking time will be longer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb bacon or 1/4 lb turkey bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- 2 chicken breasts (with or without bone)
- 16 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 bell pepper, coarsely chopped (green, red, yellow or orange)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 16 ounces whole kernel corn
- 4 -6 ounces carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons butter substitute, softened
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1In a pressure cooker, saute bacon until crisp.
- 2Add oil, onion, garlic and chicken. Saute 3 minutes.
- 3Stir in tomatoes, salsa, peppers, carrots, chicken broth, salt, red pepper flakes and hot pepper sauce.
- 4Close pressure cooker and heat on high to develop maximum pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook 6 minutes, then release pressure. Remove the chicken and cut it into bite-size pieces.
- 5Add chicken, corn, cilantro and sherry to the soup. Bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Combine flour and butter into a paste, then add it one tablespoon at a time, mixing until the soup is creamy. Cook 1 more minute. Add half-and-half and mix thoroughly.
- 6If not using a pressure cooker, you will need to cook for a longer time, though I have not tested the recipe this way.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Chicken Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.8
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 73.9 mg
- Sodium 1387.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 19.0 g