Prep 35 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Chicken chili, you can substitute Turkey Too!
- 5 large chicken breasts, chopped up into 1 inch strips
- 2 (12 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed under warm water (I prefer goya)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes
- 2 (12 ounce) cans canned corn niblets (I prefer green giant)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped into 1 inch ring segments
- 5 tablespoons chili powder (OR if you want to give it a real kick, 3 TBS Chili Powder and The seeds of one whole Red Chili peppe)
- Put rinsed kidney beans on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Next add corn niblets.
- Place 1/2 the chili Powder on top of the corn and beans.
- Pile on the chicken slices.
- Pour in tomatoes.
- Cover with remaining chili powder.
- Add the onion last as it is the softest thing in there.
- I cook mine for about 6 hours on High.
- It depends on how you like yours, six hours gets all the juices to almost a sauce like consistency.
- If you want a more runny chili cook it for 5 hours.
- 10 minutes before you serve it, put it in bowls and add tortilla chips and monterey jack cheese on top of it.
- Serve with cornbread.
We enjoyed this, using it more for a chips and dip option then the chili, though it'd be good either way (kiddos eat it better with chips :) ) The only thing I would suggest is to keep the chicken breasts whole, then shred them all up. I didn't go for the chunks of chicken, and they were hard to scoop for us with the chips. Very yummy though!
We tried this chili today. It was excellent. The only thing we changed is browning the chicken first and switching from 5 tablespoons chili powder to 4 tablespoons.
very easy to make ...reminds me of taco soup..very tasty