1/2 Photos of Southwestern Chicken & Barley Soup
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 5 mins
I recently purchased some barley as a way to introduce new grains to my diet. Found lots of good ideas for barley on this site and came up with my own soup. Perfect fall soup with comfort from the barley and chicken with a little heat from the chilies. Since the ingredients here reflect my pantry and tastes, you should feel free to adapt it to your own. I can see using green beans instead of zucchini or thighs instead of breasts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 cups water
- 2 low-sodium chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 ear of corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans
- 2 ancho chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup barley
- 1 medium yellow zucchini or 1 medium green zucchini, cut in to medium cubes
- 1Saute onion, garlic, celery and green pepper in olive oil in soup pot.
- 2Once onions are soft (about 5 minutes) add water, bouillon, tomatoes, black beans and chicken to pot and bring to a low simmer.
- 3(Use chicken broth instead of water and bouillon if you prefer).
- 4Remove corn kernels from cob and add to soup.
- 5Add whole ancho chilies to pot for a minute, just to get the dried chili to soften a bit.
- 6Remove from pot.
- 7Tear off stalk and remove seeds.
- 8Dice chilies into small pieces and return to simmering pot.
- 9Let soup simmer 20 minutes and remove chicken from pot.
- 10Shred or dice chicken and return to pot.
- 11Add barley and let soup simmer for 25 minutes.
- 12Add zucchini and let simmer an additional 25 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Chicken & Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (524 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 297.5
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 186.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 15.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium chicken bouillon cubes