1/1 Photo of Southwestern Chicken and Bean Soup (Crock Pot)
6 hrs 20 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
This soup has a good chili flavor and is simple to pull together even when the refrigerator is looking pretty bare. I do substitute fresh ingredients when I have them and the time to prepare them, but I list canned ones here for convenience (and they do taste pretty good anyhow!). I leave the seeds in my chili pepper, but take them out if you want a milder taste, and adjust the seasonings accordingly as well. This soup is very flexible - it's a good way to use up leftover chicken, beans and corn, and I believe you could use ground beef or turkey or TVP in this just as easily as chicken breast. I found a 6 can soup recipe on the web, but I altered it so much that it became something new, and this is the result.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional) or monterey jack cheese (optional) or monterey jack pepper cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- tortillas (optional) or corn chips (optional)
- 1Drain and rinse the beans and place in a 6 quart crock pot.
- 2Add the chicken, corn, and tomatoes with their juices to the beans.
- 3Add the remainder of the ingredients and stir.
- 4Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or more.
- 5We like this better the second day, and really don't think it can be overcooked!
- 6Serve the soup in large bowls and top with cheese, sour cream, and/or chips, if desired.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Chicken and Bean Soup (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (716 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 514.2
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 56.7 mg
- Sodium 1383.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.1 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 38.8 g