Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is done partway in your oven and finished up on the grill. A broiler may be used insted of the grilling but I like the flavor of the grill better. Time in the refrigerator is not included in the prep time.
- 2 chicken, cut-up, 16 pieces total
- 2 lemons
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons greash lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup flat beer or 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- Grate the rind of the 2 lemons and combine, in a bowl, with the garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in the dark brown sugar, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper.
- Rub this mixture onto the chicken pieces. Place in a single layer in 2 glass pans. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Basting Sauce:.
- Combine all basting sauce ingredients and simmer in a pan for 4 minutes.
- To grill chicken: Heat oven to 375º. Bake chicken for 45 minutes. Prepare outdoor grill while the chicken is baking. Brush chicken with basting sauce and place on prepared grill. Grill, turning occasionally and brushing with sauce, for 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked.