Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was developed because of the leftovers in the fridge. It was a great way to turn 3 oz of steak into a wonderful meal for 2.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup grits, gluten free
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese (A combination of cheddar and Monterrey jack is very good.)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup chopped green chili pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces grilled steak or 3 ounces grilled pork, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 medium avocado, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 serrano chili pepper, minced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- lemon juice
- fresh cilantro, to garnish
- Bring the 1 1/2 cups water to a boil, whisk in grits and season to taste with salt. When grits return to boil, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- While grits cook prepare the avocado salsa by combining the avocado, onion, pepper and tomato. Sprinkle liberally with lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the grits are cooked, remove from heat and stir in cheese and green chili. Cover and allow to rest while cooking the eggs.
- Cook eggs in a lightly seasoned skillet to your liking; i.e., sunny side up, over easy, etc. When finished cooking eggs toss the sliced meat onto the hot pan and toss to just warm.
- To assemble, divide the grits between 2 shallow bowls. Top each with a cooked egg, half the meat and a generous helping of avocado salsa. Sprinkle all with fresh cilantro or parsley if desired and serve.
We had this for a quick and filling lunch and absolutely loved it. Quickly put together and great to use up left over grilled meat. I used grilled chicken because that's what I had, and a mixture of pecorino cheese and goat's gouda. Not sure about the serrano chili peppers - we don't have many different chili peppers here, so I just used the unspecified red one available in the grocery.
Thanks for sharing this delicious idea, we'll sure make it again :)
This made a great dinner! I used green chilies but left out the serrano. I also left the steak out to make this vegetarian. Great mix of flavors and textures. Thanks Paula! Made for Australian Swap March 2013.