Recipe by cookiedog
This is nice because you make it the night before and then pop it in the oven in the morning. Recipe courtesy Pecan Street Inn Bed and Breakfast of Bastrop, Texas.
Top Review by Not Martha
Cookie Dog, I and my friends at work really loved this. I cut out a lot of the calories by using Turkey sausage and Egg beaters. I also used whole wheat bread toasted instead of French bread. It was zippy and so good. Thanks! P.S. Cute Dog!
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 4 scallions, diced, reserving 2/3 of the diced green tops
- 2 (7 ounce) cansdiced mild green chilies
- 6 slices approximately sourdough French bread
- 1 1⁄2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese
- 1 small roma tomato, seeded, diced into 1/4-inch dice
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry sausage until browned and almost cooked through.
- Add scallion bottoms along with 1/3 of the green tops and cook until meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Turn off heat.
- Add chilies and mix well.
- Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place the bread slices into the dish to cover bottom.
- Pour sausage mixture evenly over bread.
- Spread cheese evenly over sausage.
- Sprinkle reserved diced green scallion tops and tomato over cheese.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and add half-and-half.
- Pour over casserole.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Bake casserole for 35 minutes.
- Cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.