Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Calamari sounds more appetizing than squid. Wonderful salad.
- 3 lbs calamari, cleaned, cut into 1/2-inch rings
For the Southwestern Dressing
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 ounces sherry wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 8 -12 dashes hot pepper sauce
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
For the Salad
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, plus
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add the calamari slices to the boiling water, and stir. Allow the calamari to cook for 1 minute over high heat. Remove immediately, drain, and chill in an ice-water bath.
- To Prepare The Southwestern Dressing: Heat the olive oil and minced garlic over a low flame in a large sauté pan. Cook the garlic slowly for 3 minutes, until it is golden brown; then cool the garlic. Add the jalapeño, sherry vinegar, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, paprika, hot pepper sauce, and salt and pepper.
- To Prepare The Salad: When the calamari is chilled, drain it well and transfer to large salad bowl. Combine the calamari, red pepper, onion, black beans, cilantro and dressing.