Recipe by Sandylee
These tasty, low fat burgers use extra-lean ground beef combined with mashed black beans to reduce fat content and make moist, flavorful patties. The jalapeno pepper, cumin and cilantro add a nice little kick. Use a hotter chile pepper if you prefer, or omit it altogether if you want a more subtle flavor. Serve burgers on a whole grain or sourdough bun with plenty of low fat condiments. Fresh salsa and low fat sour cream work perfectly. NOTE: Being recently diagnosed with Diabetes..I have some lifestyle changes to make...especially in my diet. Posting this here to be available for me to try soon.
Top Review by sabrinadesigns
I followed the recipe exactly. Unless the store measured the meat wrong, everything should have went fine. However, the texture was horrible. In order to turn them without them falling apart, you had to wait until they turned black. Obviously that is not going to look very good. They weren't burnt though. No one ate them. My husband even gagged. We love black beans and we love ground beef... usually.
- 1 cup reduced sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mash black beans with a fork. Add onion, jalapeno pepper and cumin. Mix well.
- Place ground beef in a large bowl, followed by the bean mixture. Add sauce, egg white and cilantro. Blend well with a fork.
- Form into four 3/4-inch patties.
- Broil or grill for 5-6 minutes per side until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Per Serving: Calories 145, Calories from Fat 40, Total Fat 4.4g (sat 2.2g), Cholesterol 52mg, Sodium 173mg, Carbohydrate 5.9g, Fiber 1.7g, Protein 20.4g.
- Nutritional Breakdown as listed.