Recipe by Loves2Teach
This recipe would be great for any time of the day. It is from Southern Living magazine.
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese (8 oz, may also substitute Cheddar Cheese)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 8 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- salsa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a medium sauce pan; gradually stir in grits.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of the cheese, the garlic, and oregano, stirring until the cheese melts.
- Then let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in 2 eggs, and pour into a lightly greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes; remove baking dish from oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 400.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese, ham,and chilies evenly over grit crust.
- Whisk together remaining 6 eggs and 1/2 cup of the milk; pour into baking dish.
- Stir together remaining 1 cup milk and next three ingredients; spoon evenly over egg mixture, slightly spreading with back of a spoon (baking mixture will be very thick).
- Bake at 400°F for 35 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes; cut into squares.
- Serve with salsa if desired.