Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Interesting take on quiche as it uses refrigerated cornbread twist dough as the base for this spicy southwestern veggie quiche. Recipe is from Cooking Light Magazine.
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) canrefrigerated cornbread, twist dough (Pillsbury)
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed (drained and squeezed dry)
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Unroll dough, unfold layers (do not separate into strips). Place layers lengthwise, end to end, into an 11 x 7 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pinch ends in the middle to seal, press dough up sides of dish. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno; saute 3 minutes or until soft. Add corn and the next 5 ingredients (corn through broccoli); saute for 5 minutes or until vegetables are soft and liquid evaporates. Remove from heat, and cool 5 minutes. Combine milk, egg whites, egg and salt; stir well with a whisk. Sprinkle cheese over dough. Spoon broccoli mixture evenly into pan. Pour milk mixture over broccoli mixture. Place dish on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes; cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is terrific! I couldn't find those cornbread twists so I made some cornbread (from the recipe on the cornmeal box) and just added enough extra flour to make a dough that was similar in texture to the twists. Loved the filling, great with the broccoli and you could probably sub other veggies as well. Thanks for sharing the recipe!