Recipe by MACADOO
A low-fat egg casserole with a southwestern flair. Not sure of the origin of recipe since I received from a friend
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 3 cups bread cubes
- 8 ounces turkey sausage (Italian or pork sausage)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) carton egg substitute
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the corn muffin mix according to package directions and cool. Crumble muffins into a large bowl and mix in bread. Set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage, crumble and cook in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned.
- Remove from pan and saute` onion until translucent.
- Combine milk, cumin, pepper, tomatoes, and egg substitute; stir with whisk until well blended; add sausage and onions stirring well.
- Stir into bread mixture.
- Spoon 1/2 of mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with 1/2 cheese. Spoon remaining mixture over cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Allow casserole to sit at room temperature about 30 minutes while preheating oven to 350 degrees.
- 9. Bake casserole for 20 minutes or until set. Top with remaining cheese and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.