Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
We love black-eyed peas around our house... My 4 year old son could eat these all day long... I decided that I wanted to try a new recipe and went digging.... I came across this one and wanted to share it with you....
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup dried black-eyed peas (6 oz)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup okra, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Heat water and peas to boiling in 2 quart saucepan.
- Boil uncovered 2 minutes; reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender.
- Drain peas.
- Heat oil in same saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook okra, onion, salt, pepper sauce and garlic in oil about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
- Stir in cilantro, tomato and beans.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until hot.
Just made this with fresh BE peas, not dried, and my overabundance of okra. Indeed the okra stayed crisp, and the onions and pepper made the dish colorful. Still too bland for my tastes, i added hot sauce, but a diced jalapeno would have been great too. A different way to cook okra without always frying it, so thanks for the recipe, gertc96!
I made these for New Year's Day. I really like the additions of the okra & cilantro. It made tasty additions to a pot of black eyed peas and they were colorful. I did stir in lots more cilantro. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
These were pretty good for black eyed peas. :P We didn't put any pepper sauce in because of in-laws, but now that the leftovers are home, I'm going to douse it in Sriracha!!!!!