Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
No description submitted, but something needed here for posting. :)
Make and share this Southwestern Black Beans and Barley recipe from Food.com.
- 473.18 ml dried black beans
- 236.59 ml barley
- 236.59 ml celery, diced
- 236.59 ml onion, diced
- 1 medium leek, washed well, white part only, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 29.58 ml cumin
- 9.85 ml salt
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 9.85 ml celery seeds
- 1892.72 ml vegetable broth
- 283.49 g can Rotel Tomatoes
- 473.18 ml shredded sharp cheddar cheese (to garnish) (optional)
- sour cream, as desired (to garnish) (optional)
- Rinse and sort the beans.
- Soak them overnight. Drain.
- Place in 6 quart crock pot, with barley on top.
- Add celery, onion, garlic and leek to the mixture in the pot, along with tomatoes, seasonings and broth.
- Set crock pot to cook on low for 8 hours.
- (Optional: Serve with cheese as a garnish and top each serving with a tablespoon of sour cream).
This soup is excellant as written. We really enjoyed it with sour cream and some freshly chopped cilantro. Great on this cold evening.
This recipe is fantastic! The only change I made was additional cumin and a bit of coriander. Other reviewers found that the beans did not cook in the alloted time; I didn't have that problem, just make sure you soak them first. My husband and 6 year old couldn't get enough! This will definitely be a regular in our rotation.
We really liked this recipe. I used canned beans (2 cans) and these worked out fine. Flavors were very nice. We ate this as a soup with the cheese sprinkled on top. Made for the CRAZE-E Cooking contest finalists, October 2008.