- 2 cups dried black beans
- 1 cup barley
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 medium leek, washed well, white part only, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (to garnish) (optional)
- sour cream, as desired (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and sort the beans.
- Soak them overnight. Drain.
- Place in 6 quart crock pot, with barley on top.
- Add celery, onion, garlic and leek to the mixture in the pot, along with tomatoes, seasonings and broth.
- Set crock pot to cook on low for 8 hours.
- (Optional: Serve with cheese as a garnish and top each serving with a tablespoon of sour cream).