Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is an adaptation of a Weight Watchers recipe and it is delicious! I make this all the time because it is easy, inexpensive and healthy (you can omit or use reduced fat cheese and sour cream).
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 serrano peppers, minced (can substitute jalapeno or other peppers)
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, to garnish
- 1 lime, sliced, to garnish
- In a large pan, saute onion, garlic, celery and Serrano peppers until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, chili powder and pepper to coat onion mixture.
- Add beans and chicken broth reduce at a low boil until sauce thickens, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add fresh lime juice.
- Serve topped with grated cheese and sour cream and garnish with cilantro and lime slices.
This one's a keeper! So easy, and SO yummy! It's not for those of you who shy away from spicy dishes, though. I didn't change anything, except we used a combo of chicken broth and vegetable broth since that's what we had on hand. Thanks, Sangria!!