Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is so yummy. I can't remember where I found this but it's a regular at my house. I have eaten it as is or over lettuce and chicken breast for a quick and easy meal.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 avocado, pitted & diced
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 medium bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- salt & pepper
- Combine beans, avocado, onion, peppers and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour over the bean mixture.
- Chill the salad for 2 hours before serving.
I think I need to do some tweaking to give this one any more stars.
First, it basically tastes fine, but so much liquid goes in, everything gets very mushy. Next time, I'm cutting down on the lime juice and WAY down on the olive oil. Which leads us to issue two...
If you split this into four portions, each has a caloric value of 583. While the beans account for most of that, a significant portion is from the olive oil. I doubt lowering the oil will effect the taste (the lime juice is so powerful), so that's my plan for next time - little or no olive oil.
And then, we shall reanalyze the rating. : )