1/3 Photos of Southwestern Black Bean Jerky Chili
1 hr 30 mins
I had this chili on my recent trip to Arizona and it is out of this world delicious. Chef Burke Perry at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa in Scottsdale, Arizona, was kind enough to share the recipe with me. This makes a lot but I'm sure you can freeze it or feel free to reduce the amounts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (96 ounce) can black beans or 3 cups uncooked dried black beans
- 3 lbs raw ground beef
- 1 lb beef jerky, shredded
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh garlic, chopped
- 8 small green bell peppers, diced
- 2 chipotle peppers, from can chopped (note very spicy)
- 2 cups chili sauce, in can
- 2 cups tomato paste
- 2 quarts beef stock or 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- kosher salt, to taste (because you get saltiness from the beef jerky)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups smoked mozzarella cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1Brown ground beef in large skillet or dutch oven.
- 2Drain off fat from ground beef.
- 3Return beef to same pan and add diced onions.
- 4Saute for 2 minutes on medium heat.
- 5Add garlic, jerky and green bell peppers.
- 6Carmelize vegetables.
- 7Add tomato paste and deglaze with beef or chicken stock.
- 8Add chili sauce and then remaining ingredients except for the cilantro.
- 9Simmer on medium low heat for one hour or until all seasonings are fully incorporated into the chili.
- 10Season chili to taste at the end and take off the heat and add the fresh chopped cilantro.
- 11You want to try to keep the cilantro as green as possible.
- 12Serve the chili with shredded smoked mozzarella cheese or Monterey Jack.
- 13Note: Use very little salt in chili since you will get most of your needed salt from the jerky.
- 14Also, keep in mind that chipotle peppers are very spicy and you need just a little bit.
- 15Another suggestions: The chili could be served with fried tortilla chips or warm flour tortillas or flat bread would be nice as well.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Southwestern Black Bean Jerky Chili
Serving Size: 1 (7990 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3331.8
- Calories from Fat 854
- Total Fat 94.9 g
- Saturated Fat 42.6 g
- Cholesterol 197.6 mg
- Sodium 14833.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 408.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 127.2 g
- Sugars 96.7 g
- Protein 224.3 g