Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A really good black bean dip for tortilla chips. Top with shredded Cheddar Chesse if you like. The recipe comes from Sunset magazine.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a 3-to 4 quart pan over medium-high heat, bring beans,tomatoes, 1/4 cup onion and beer to a boil.
- Lower heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorted and remaining liquid is thick, 35 to 45 minutes.
- If smoth consistency is desired whirl in a blender or food procceser until smooth.
- Stir remaining 1/4 cup onoin and cilantro, Serve.
I had no idea how this recipe would turn out, since the addition of beer is so unusual in a bean dip. Surprise, surprise, it's a winner. I made half a recipe for just my DH and me, lightly pureed the beans only, and kept the rest chunky. It was a delicious snack scooped up with some Red Hot Blues, our favorite tortilla chips. Glad you posted this one, Barb.