Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Delicious beef stew, which is better the second day, is delicious with corn bread. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (December, 1986)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb chuck or 1 lb other stew meat, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin slices
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 dried red chili
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in large sauce pan or Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add beef, onion and garlic and cook until meat is browned, stirring frequently (10 minutes).
- Mix in remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately or cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Reheat before serving.
A great tasting stew, with fork tender beef, thats just a little different from the rest! It was cooked in 2 hours & I served with mashed potatoes. I'm sure we'll enjoy the leftovers with some crusty bread for lunch today. Thanx Ellie!