Recipe by Kie&Den
Easy and tasty. Serve with warm flour tortillas and cold beer. This recipe is ours, derived from the many great New Mexican Chilie Stews. Leftovers can be frozen. Alternatively, serve over fried eggs on flour tortillas (Huevos Rancheros)
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Excellent stew that is even better the next day. Because there are only three of us, I made half of the recipe and instead of simmering it on the stove top, I put it in the crock pot and let it cook on low for about 8 hours (didn't cook the potatoes ahead of time since I was using the crock pot). Very nice flavor and a nice change from regular beef stew. Thanks for posting this. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup Tag.
- 2 lbs beef steaks
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1⁄2 cup chopped New Mexico green chilies
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes until cooked thru.
- Cool, peel and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Slice onion.
- Mince garlic.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until garlic starts to brown.
- Cut steak into 1 inch cubes.
- Brown in oil with onion and garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer meat and onions with drippings to large stock pot.
- Add broth, beans and tomatoes with liquids (don't drain), potatoes and chopped chilies.
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 2 hours.