Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe produces a very tender, wonderful, slightly spicy tasting brisket, serve with mashed potatoes on the side.... great sliced for sandwiches the second day
- 1 beef brisket (about 3-4 pounds)
- salt and pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon garlic powder or 3 -4 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 medium sweet red peppers, cut into strips
- 2 cups sliced carrots (cut into 1-in chunks)
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Season beef brisket with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown beef on both sides; drain.
- Combine the next 10 ingredients; pour over meat.
- Cover tightly and bake for 2 hours at 325 degrees F.
- Add the red peppers and carrots; bake 1 hour longer or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and veggies to a serving platter.
- Skim the fat from top.
- Reduce the pan juices for gravy.
- Slice the meat thinly across the grain.
- Serve with veggies and the pan juices.
A definite keeper! This was sooooo delicious! I cooked this in my crockpot after browning for 8 hours and it came out so moist and tender. I only used 3/4 cup of water and added cornstarch at the end to thicken the sauce. This is by far the best brisket recipe I have ever come across - thanks.
Kitten: this is a 10 plus recipe, I stopped in the middle of dinner to rate this magnificant brisket, couldn't wait... it's also very tender... dh said "boy did you find a winner".. thanks a million for your help. Nita
My husband has been begging me to make him a beef brisket. We found this recipe and gave it a try yesterday. It was FABULOUS! Definitely a keeper. We are already planning to make it again and invite friends and family over!