Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a deliciously cheesy pasta casserole. If you can't find mini penne pasta in your grocery store, you can use small shell pasta or regular penne instead. I like to use "The Best Alfredo Sauce" for the alfredo sauce.
- 1 lb mini penne pasta
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (16 ounce) jar alfredo sauce
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- In large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef with seasoning and salt until browned.
- Stir in salsa; remove from heat.
- In large bowl, mix Alfredo sauce, eggs and 1 cup cheese; stir in pasta.
- In another bowl, toss spinach with 1/2 cup cheese.
- To assemble, spoon half of pasta mixture, about 4 cups, into pan.
- Sprinkle spinach mixture evenly over pasta.
- Top with even layer of beef mixture.
- Top with remaining pasta mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake until hot in center and top is golden, about 1 hour.
- Run sharp knife around edge of pan to loosen pasta.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Remove side of pan; sprinkle with parsley.
I loved it, but I didn't think that the eggs would bother me as I'm allergic to eggs. I'm suffering now due to so many eggs. Other than that, it as so delicious, the mixture combined go together really well.. just enough spice and flavour. Used half the spinach and a half a pound of hamburger.
the sauce mixture was great -- I thought it used WAY too much pasta .. should've used only half and then it probably would've been perfect. I also didn't use the entire package of spinach - thankfully, otherwise would've been too much. I didn't do it in the springform either, just regular casserole dish. Again, Loved the bites that had lots of sauce and cheese , but with so much pasta it was dry for me. Will make again with those substitutions.
The ingredients sound a little weird together (alfredo sauce?), but hubby and grankids all liked it which is amazing!