Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
Soup with tons of flavor, and beans.
- 439.41 g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 439.41 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 709.77 ml water
- 411.06 g can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 283.49 g packagefrozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 236.59 ml sliced carrot
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 113.39 g canchopped green chilies
- 29.58 ml instant beef, chicken or 29.58 ml vegetable bouillon granules
- 9.85 ml chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- for the dumplings
- 78.07 ml flour
- 59.14 ml yellow cornmeal
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 29.58 ml milk
- 14.79 ml oil
- Combine the 11 soup ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on low 10-12 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Make dumplings by mixing together flour, clornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Combine egg white, milk, and oil, and add to the flour mixture. Stir with fork, until just combined.
- At the end of the soup's cooking time, turn slow cooker to high. Drop dumpling mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls to make 8 mounds atop of the soup.
- Cover. cook for 30 minutes, and do not lift cover.
Delicious, easy recipe! A really satisfying meal for a chilly night. I added a 1/2 t. of dried oregano, 1/2 a bay leaf and black pepper. The dumplings turned out nice and light and I added some garlic powder, oregano and black pepper to them. I topped our servings with grated cheddar, a dollop of sour cream and some chopped cilantro. Thanks for sharing this keeper recipe!
Absolutely delish! Loved this hearty, southwestern-flavored soup -- it has all the things we love and the best thing of all -- it cooks in the slow cooker. I used some organic beef broth vs. the bouillon granules and I also added a can of rotel tomatoes and green chilies in addition to the 4 oz. of green chilies just to give it a little "kick". Will definitely make this again! Made for PRMR, March, 2013.