Recipe by weekend cooker
Soup with tons of flavor, and beans.
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Delicious, easy recipe! A really satisfying meal for a chilly night. I added a 1/2 t. of dried oregano, 1/2 a bay leaf and black pepper. The dumplings turned out nice and light and I added some garlic powder, oregano and black pepper to them. I topped our servings with grated cheddar, a dollop of sour cream and some chopped cilantro. Thanks for sharing this keeper recipe!
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) packagefrozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons instant beef, chicken or 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon granules
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- for the dumplings
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the 11 soup ingredients in a slow cooker.
- Cover, and cook on low 10-12 hours, or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Make dumplings by mixing together flour, clornmeal, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- Combine egg white, milk, and oil, and add to the flour mixture. Stir with fork, until just combined.
- At the end of the soup's cooking time, turn slow cooker to high. Drop dumpling mixture by rounded teaspoonfuls to make 8 mounds atop of the soup.
- Cover. cook for 30 minutes, and do not lift cover.