Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 hrs
I altered this recipe from my Fix - It and Forget - It cookbook. Yummy bean soup with a southwestern twist that is made in your slow cooker. The cornmeal dumplings is a wonderful addition to this soup.
- 439.41 g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 439.41 g can black beans or 439.41 g can pinto beans or 439.41 g can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 709.77 ml water
- 411.06 g can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 283.49 g package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 236.59 ml sliced carrot
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 113.39 g canchopped green chilies
- 29.58 ml beef bouillon granules or 29.58 ml chicken bouillon granules or 29.58 ml vegetable bouillon granules
- 4.92-9.85 ml chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 78.07 ml flour
- 59.14 ml yellow cornmeal
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 29.58 ml milk
- 14.79 ml oil
- Combine 11 soup ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 10 - 12 hours or high 4 - 5 hours.
- Make cumplings by mixing together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Combine egg white, milk and oil. Add to flour mixture. Stir with fork until just combined.
- At the end of the soup's cooking time, turn slow cooker to high. Drop dumplings by rounded teaspoonfuls to make 8 mounsd atop the soup.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes (do not lift cover).
- Serve topped with your choice(s) of sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
This soup was super easy to make. I did not have time to make in the crock pot so I made it on top of the stove. I threw in a handful of barley, so it took about 45 minutes to cook. When I went to make the dumplings I found I was out of cornmeal, so sadly I had to pass on that part. Thanks for a good hearty soup recipe.
So good! The dumplings are a really nice touch. I did this on the stove top, which took about an hour all together. I was out of carrots, but I'll add them next time. I used a fresh jalapeno instead of the canned chiles. We served it with sour cream and cheddar. Thanks for posting!
Good hearty soup! Plus so easy to make since it's all done in the crockpot. Although I do have to say, we think it makes more than 4 servings! I added some cumin as well as the 2 tsp. chili powder and used jalapenos in place of the green chilies. We served with cheese on top and I ate some with tortilla chips. It's a good easy to make dish perfect for a weekday meal! Thanks so much for posting!