Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
I altered this recipe from my Fix - It and Forget - It cookbook. Yummy bean soup with a southwestern twist that is made in your slow cooker. The cornmeal dumplings is a wonderful addition to this soup.
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
This soup was super easy to make. I did not have time to make in the crock pot so I made it on top of the stove. I threw in a handful of barley, so it took about 45 minutes to cook. When I went to make the dumplings I found I was out of cornmeal, so sadly I had to pass on that part. Thanks for a good hearty soup recipe.
- 439.41 g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 439.41 g can black beans or 439.41 g can pinto beans or 439.41 g can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 709.77 ml water
- 411.06 g can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 283.49 g package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 236.59 ml sliced carrot
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 113.39 g canchopped green chilies
- 29.58 ml beef bouillon granules or 29.58 ml chicken bouillon granules or 29.58 ml vegetable bouillon granules
- 4.92-9.85 ml chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 78.07 ml flour
- 59.14 ml yellow cornmeal
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 0.25 ml salt
- 0.25 ml pepper
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 29.58 ml milk
- 14.79 ml oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 11 soup ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 10 - 12 hours or high 4 - 5 hours.
- Make cumplings by mixing together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Combine egg white, milk and oil. Add to flour mixture. Stir with fork until just combined.
- At the end of the soup's cooking time, turn slow cooker to high. Drop dumplings by rounded teaspoonfuls to make 8 mounsd atop the soup.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes (do not lift cover).
- Serve topped with your choice(s) of sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips.